Tagline

Things we love, things we like and things that ruffle our feathers.

September 28, 2011

Heard It Through the Grapevine: Office Gossip

While the gossip may be juicy, the repercussions could really hurt your career.
(via Woman's Day)
I would be lying if I said I didn't like to hear gossip. I'm not fond of spreading it around, but if someone has a good story about a mutual acquaintance or even someone I barely know, my nosy nature takes over and I'm more attentive than I was in some of my college courses.

A little gossip during movie night with the girls is one thing, but at the workplace it's a completely different situation.

No matter how much you love your co-workers, you should always remember that you're in competition. You work in the same field and when a promotion comes up, everyone can't take it. Some people will do anything for that corner office, including sell you out to the boss.

I worked for a company a few years ago that gave out bonuses on Christmas. Bonuses were based on how long you were with the company and your position. I went away for college during the fall, so, since I was only there for the holidays, I didn't get a bonus. A few of my co-workers were disgruntled about the differences in their checks one year and decided to vent about it. I simply said that I didn't get one when they looked at me for my input.

Guess who got in trouble?

Even though I was only 19 years old and they were all at least 35 with children, when the office manager got word that someone had been talking about the bonuses, they all pointed to me. I never went back to work during any other holiday.

When I hear gossip about other employees or supervisors at my current job, I never engage at all. That doesn't mean you can't bond with your co-workers. If they want to talk about celebrities or a news event, I'm definitely a part of the conversation.

If you have gripes with your boss or other employees, take it up with them or go to human resources. It's better if they hear it from you than someone else because person will probably deny they had a role in it.

When it comes to workplace conversation, it's definitely better to be safe than sorry.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...