Tagline

Things we love, things we like and things that ruffle our feathers.

October 26, 2011

What's Your Back-Up?

Maybe these could have been my future students?
I was reading a story on the Oprah website (You can judge, but they have some pretty good stories.) about "6 Do-Good Jobs You Never Considered" and I thought about what I would do if I wasn't a journalist. If being a part of the press wasn't an option for me, what would I do?

The answer was easy: teach content-based English in Africa with the Peace Corps. That was my dream in high school and for a few years of college, but I sort of gave up on it. You have to understand that I love books and I think they have a lot to do with the person you become. When I started really studying them in high school, it really opened up a whole new part of literature for me to love.

There were a whole lot of reasons I decided I wasn't going to apply to leave after my college graduation. One of them was that I want to go to grad school next year and the Corps is a two-year commitment.

Maybe after I retire, I'll just move to Kenya and do it anyway.

What's your back-up career?

(image source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...