Tagline

Things we love, things we like and things that ruffle our feathers.

June 4, 2012

The Top 5 Funniest Kristen Wiig 'SNL' Characters

Kristen Wiig (middle) as Mindy Grayson (image via Entertainment Weekly)


After making audiences laugh on Saturday Night Live since 2005, Kristen Wiig said her final good-byes a few weeks ago. It's not much of a surprise, since her career has skyrocketed after co-writing the hit comedy Bridesmaids, for which she earned an Oscar nomination.

In her time on SNL, Wiig continuously showed her ability to transform herself into countless wacky characters, from old women to mischievous children. I've been a Wiig fan since she first showed up on the scene and have continued to watch as she filled the void left by the departures of the hilarious Tina Fey, Maya Rudolph and Amy Poehler. I've always said the women of SNL are the funniest, and Wiig is no exception.

To commemorate her hilarious run on SNL, I've put together a list of her top five funniest recurring characters on the show.




5. Penelope: Everybody knows someone who constantly shows off and one-ups their friends. Penelope, Wiig's hair-twirling braggart, hilariously embodied that type of person. No matter how modest someone's statement might be, Penelope would find a way to be more impressive, often making implausible claims.





4. Gilly: Wiig combined a goofy overbite with a sly smile to create Gilly, the little girl who plays pranks on her classmates and denies responsibility. When the teacher accuses her, she responds with a mischievous "Sorry." Gilly became such a popular character she got to host her own SNL Christmas special.





3. The Target Lady: How can you not laugh at this eccentric cashier who pronounces the store name as "Terget" and sports an unflattering bowl cut? The Target Lady has a tendency to take too long checking people out, because she either drones on about their purchases or runs to retrieve items for herself. This sketch with Justin Timberlake features the Target Lady at her best.





2. Mindy Grayson: This overly dramatic 1960s actress never gets old for me.  She's a recurring celebrity contestant on the 1960s game show Secret Word, but Mindy would probably go down in history as the worst game show contestant ever. Wiig's theatrical style of speaking and the conviction with which she gives her appalling clues make Mindy a legend.





1. Dooneese: Words cannot express the intensity with which I laughed at Dooneese's first appearance on SNL. Wiig played the most unconventional member of a group of singing sisters, a spoof of The Lawrence Welk Show. With this sketch, it's better to watch it than read my explanation. Suffice it to say that when I showed Dooneese's first sketch to my friend in high school, she laughed so hard she had to leave the room to recover. You've been warned.

I'll miss Kristen Wiig's fearlessness and ability to transform into original characters, but I hope to see more great characters as she continues her undoubtedly successful career.

Who's your favorite Kristen Wiig character?

Jill O'Rourke is an Entertainment Blogger for Ruffled Feathers.  You can read her personal blog and follow her on Twitter.


1 comment:

  1. Dooneese makes me laugh hardest but also scares me the most whereas Penelope is the one I really related to, I definitely know people like that as well and she's hilarious. Dooneese I have to watch through my cringing. I didn't know she had a name, I just see her in my nightmares.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...