Tagline

Things we love, things we like and things that ruffle our feathers.

September 3, 2012

Got Soy?

(image via Supreme Kitchen)
I'm not a huge milk fan, but after living with my lactose intolerant boyfriend for over a year I realize I actually miss it a lot. Every time I want a late night bowl of Captain Crunch or a glass of milk with my cookies I am let down by the contents in my fridge. I know, I know, I can easily buy a small carton of milk for myself but I don't drink it enough to have it not be half-wasted. I finally caved and bought a carton of soy milk.

First of all, soy milk and "regular" milk (or cow's milk) both have separate benefits and flaws. Since soy milk is made up of crushed soy beans (duh...) it is chock full of protein. Soy milk is also lower in saturated fat than cow's milk and is known to help lower cholesterol. Plus, for people like my boyfriend who are lactose intolerant, they can easily drink it considering it contains no lactose. Like other legumes, soy beans contain an abundance of omega-3 fatty acids which help with maintaining a healthy cholesterol level.

Cow's milk contains no fiber, like soy milk does but it does have tons of your daily calcium in it, a very important vitamin for your bone health. It also contains tons of Vitamin D which helps to promote healthy skin, hair and fingernails. If you buy a carton of skim milk versus whole you help to drink less fat and keep your cholesterol down. The more fat percentage the milk has, the worst it is for your arteries.

I personally enjoy both types of milk for different things, but you won't know until you try, right? So next time you're at the store buy a small carton of both and taste-test for yourself!

Lesley Anders is a Health blogger for Ruffled Feathers. You can read her personal blog or follow her on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...